tirsdag den 29. juni 2010

Things starting to come together

Written for Thursday June 24. This morning the scale again made me smile. 71 kg. Just shy of seeing the 70 mark for the first time. My goal is 70 - or I need to say 69.9. Sounds so much better. I might make it, but will not reach for this goal compromising adequate nutrition. I have been conscious on the diet for the last few months - gradually dropping from around 74-75 in February. I know others have been dropping faster, but more than a kilo per month is where I believe it might strike back and reduce muscle mass. So, if I can hit the Marmotte at 70 - I will be very happy. This is about 2-3 kg lighter than last year.

To drop weight steadily, I get conscious about what I eat and how much I eat. I am in no way fanatical about this. I reduce empty carbohydrates, increase a bit on protein rich food, eat more salad and vegetables. Very little candy, chocolate and other goodies are consumed. But some dark chocolate I do eat. Some weeks ago there was an article in a cycling magazine about how good dark chocolate was for restitution. Well, it must be kept at a very reasonable level. After all, lots of calories also in dark (75%+ cocoa). Last year I stopped drinking wine at New Years. This year, I have had wine up until the last month. At my level, a glass with dinner does not hurt performance - unless drunk close to finishing hard training. A glass is easily 120-150 Kcal. Given how our bodies go alcohol first, other good food I need second, and that alcohol is a poison and drive water (which naturally is much needed after training) out of the body it's probably quite evident that it is not the best to drink for cell recovery. I'll probably come back to wine later - as it is one of my big passions. Stories on the web are many and controversial views are offered. What's a fact is that Lance Armstrong after Tour de France posted a tweet about Sassicaia (the man know - and can afford - good taste) and a head-ache. The Norwegian cross country women's team was also much criticized after drinking a few glasses of wine during the Olympics in Vancouver this year...well, even if they won the relay the day after. I'm not defending or promoting alcohol here. But I'm arguing that a glass probably does more good than bad - if that is one of the joys in life you appreciate. Interestingly, my diet actually mentions 250 Kcal reserved to a snack or a glass of wine. So, let's get a bit more specific on eating habits that works for me when I am to loose weight. I know that my base metabolism makes me burn around 1600-1700 Kcals per day. On top of this I burn another 800-2500 during exercise. My intake needs to be balanced with this. On average I probably take in some 2300 Kcals spread out in three main meals and 3 intermediate snacks/light meals. Breakfast is 20-30% and usually consist of muesli with a banana and 250 ml of milk, along with half a piece or full piece of rye-bread with some lean meat. I usually drink some low fat milk - making milk intake aroun 400 ml for the day. After a few hours at work I either eat some fruit or a single piece of bread with a banana, cheese or jam. Then lunch usually consist of a salad with some meet or fish, plenty of vegetables and a bit pasta or potatoes. Before training I usually have a small bowl of muesli along with a fruit. After training, I eat either a full dinner with a combination of vegetables, meat/fish and salad. End of day, I either go for half a piece of bread with some lean meat on top, or a bit of wheat flakes with milk. When competition nears, I gradually increase the load of carbohydrate rich food and reduce a bit on proteins. I must admit though, that I am looking very much forward to indulge a bit more after the Maratona - both what food concerns and the glass of red stuff the Italians know well how to make.

Ingen kommentarer:

Send en kommentar